This Blog has Moved

Dear Reader,

While still fully functional (I hope) this blog has moved here. please be sure to visit the newer, updated site, in this blog's stead. Thanks!

-=- Click Here to Visit the New Typist Chronicles -=-

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Query Letters Suck

For those of you who don't know what a query letter is, let me s'plain it to you.

A query letter is the letter you send out to a literary agent when you are trying to land one. Simple right?

In theory. But then again, most things are.

In your query, you have to give a brief summary of your story, explain the plot, your credentials and tell how big the book is. Again, easy in theory.

But writing that SOB is a pain in the neck (especially for me, 'cause sometimes I hunch over my keyboard like Quazimodo).

Nailing a hook is a lot harder than I thought. I wrote my first part and thought, 'this is good.' I had someone read it, and their response was this (verbatim):

Your hook didn't grab me at all.

Ouch. Okay what about the summary?

That person came back with about a dozen questions to counter.

Lame.

Hell, I even messed up the final part with my credentials! (BTW - I don't have any, but don't go passing that around...)

Don't put any negative comments. Okayyy...

Anyways... I did pick up some great tips from the AgentQuery Connect Forum which has helped immensely, and I'm beginning to understand the basics. When I have finished a working one, I'll be sure to post it.

Til then, keep on tickin!

0 comments:

Post a Comment